~my month in Costa Rica studying Spanish~

I'll be in Costa Rica from June 17 - July 17. I'm going with a group from Weber State to study Spanish at a language institute called ILISA. We'll be staying with Costa Rican families.

Monday, July 4, 2011

Four Hours in Eden

On Saturday we bisited a place called Tabacón a.k.a. Paradise. It`s a resort with hot springs up by the Arenal volcano. I will never be able to express its beauty, whether in words or pictures, but I`ll give it a shot. It`s basically a gigantic network of pools, rivers, and waterfalls - all super-HOT. There are tropical flowers and trees EVERYWHERE and so many different pools that it is not crowded. Sometimes it feels like you`re in your own private jungle, Swiss Family Robinson-style. We had about four hours to lounge, climb waterfalls, and do whatever.We were treated to a luxury buffet before heading home.


Sunday we had a free day and were able to go to church. Sacrament meeting was first and I bore my testimony very basically in Spanish. I`m sure it was rife with mistakes, but Elder Scheffler from Ogden told me that the congregation understood. He ALSO told me not to use in Costa Rica. For anyone who doesn`t know, in Spanish there are two pronouns for `you,´ the formal usted and less-formal . In school I`ve gotten used to using the form, but Elder Scheffler told me that in Costa Rica, is not used and is sometimes considered offensive. I wish he`d have told me that two weeks ago! Hopefully I haven`t offended too many people.
This lady was always smiling...until we asked to take a picture.
Later in the day Chelsea and I had a little picnic in her room while watching Disney Pixar movies in Spanish and doing art projects. Chelsea drew a great picture of our sister Maria José and I colored it.
I am sad to be missing the 4th of July parade & fireworks with friends and family. Love you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment