~my month in Costa Rica studying Spanish~

I'll be in Costa Rica from June 17 - July 17. I'm going with a group from Weber State to study Spanish at a language institute called ILISA. We'll be staying with Costa Rican families.

Thursday, June 30, 2011

Mi vida bien

Hola from Central America! Things are going really well for me. We´ve been having a lot of fun in grammar class lately. Our teacher Jorge is really fun and we´ve played some fun games. And I just used the word ´fun´ three times. I just can´t think of another word to describe it! The girls in my class are...well, fun and I like them. There is usually one boy in our class, but he hurt himself playing volleyball at Punta Leona and has been staying home all week. So we are Las Chicas de Jorge. Argh, I just remembered that I have to give a presentation in class tomorrow. Suddenly the class seems less fun.
  For conversation class on Wednesday, we went to el Museo de Jade – as in the stone – in San Jose. It was interesting, though a lot of the same thing. Hundreds of little jade carvings that, while amazing, all look pretty much the same to me. Then today all the Weber students went to the National Museum where we saw artifacts/furniture from Pre-Columbian as well as Colonial times. The morning field trips make it even harder for me to stay awake in class.
  Before the National Museum, Chelsea and I went to the street market. I´ve been told never to buy anything in Costa Rica without trying to haggle the price down, but my upbringing makes that hard for me to do because it seems so RUDE. I tried to haggle with the first lady I bought from today and she just looked at me and said, “no,” and that was the end of my haggling for the day. Good news: I found some earrings almost exactly like the freebies Chelsea got on her first day. I feel like I´m spending a ton of money, but 10,000 colones is really only about twenty bucks. I like it when I have my money in coins because I feel totally rich. The bus costs a little over a dollar a day and a typical meal is five or six dollars. We go to the movies every Wednesday because it´s 2 for 1, which is about two dollars apiece! Last week we saw X-Men (Spanish with English subtitles) and last night we saw Kung Fu Panda II (Spanish).  The theater is at the mall, which is smallish, but 5 or 6 stories. Each store could fit inside a store at Layton Hills at least twice, which means there are many many stores and they´re all packed in close.
  ATTENTION FAMILY: Can you think of anything specific that you would like as a gift?

1 comment:

  1. Course I know what I want. I want to come pick you up!! and stay for another week!! :) course I do.

    Hope your presentation went well! Marianne and I were joking about how funny it is that we LOVE when you do a post on here!! but we really do.

    ReplyDelete