~my month in Costa Rica studying Spanish~

I'll be in Costa Rica from June 17 - July 17. I'm going with a group from Weber State to study Spanish at a language institute called ILISA. We'll be staying with Costa Rican families.

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Nightmare in the Air

Okay, so the nightmare is not actually IN the air, but at the airports inbetween. This story begins 29 1/2 hours ago in San Jose, Costa Rica, where I boarded a small bus with a few of my classmates and was taken to the San Jose airport, where occurred Problem 1: when I went to check my bag, it weighed 14 pounds too much and rather than pay $100 for the extra weight, I sat down in front of the counter and started digging through my luggage removing the heaviest things. I got the bag down to 50 pounds, but gained an extra carry-on bag that was definitely not meant for extended use. The handles keep ripping, so I retie them. They've gotten gradually shorter and shorter until now they're just big enough to hold on to.  Problem 1 solved. My flight didn't actually leave for another 5 or so hours, so I curled up on a bench hugging my two bags and slept on and off for two hours. I bought a cinnamon roll (a cinnamon roll from La Canela costs about 70 cents, but a cinnamon roll from an airport Cinnabon costs $6. :p), then got up to walk around and met some friends from school that I spent an hour or so with before my flight was to leave. I was waiting at my gate, but it was getting REALLY close to departure time and we hadn't started boarding, so I double checked with the attendant and discovered Problem 2: my flight had changed gates. I frantically speed-walked across the airport (luckily, it's a small one) and managed to get to my flight in time. Whew! Problem 2 solved. The flight went well enough and we landed in Miami and began the process of Passport Check and Customs. There were a billion zillion people, few of which knew exactly where to go. I waited and waited in line, and by the time I was accepted into the United States, I encountered Problem 3: my flight for Denver had departed. I waited in another long line and was able to get my flight re-booked. Problem 3 solved. And on to Problem 4: my next flight, from Denver to Salt Lake, was with another airline and with my new itinerary, I was not going to make it in time. I tried calling the airline, but the automated man-voice just referred me to their website, which was of no use to me as I do not have a laptop. So I flew to New Orleans and spent 5 hours writing in my journal, reading, and attempting to sleep on two chairs in the drafty airport. I had pancakes for breakfast, went through security, and got on a flight for Dallas/Ft. Worth. Once there I had just enough time to catch my flight to Denver. Once in Denver, I went to the ticket counter and was so lucky because there was a flight leaving within the next hour and one seat had just opened up. Problem 4 solved. I was so relieved and I went through a very long security line and made it to my gate. My watch showed I had a few more minutes, so I quickly visited the restroom. BUT (Problem 5) when I handed my boarding pass to the man at the gate, he looked at me oddly and said, "you just missed it." He pointed out the window at the airplane sitting right there, not moving, but with the door shut. My watch was slow. At this point I had been traveling for 28 hours and away from home for over a month. Until now I had been slightly stressed, but okay. But when I realized I had missed my plane home by just a few minutes and I didn't know how long I would have to wait to catch another one, I started crying. I was embarrassed because the lady behind the counter probably thought I was being a big baby, but she was super-nice and gave me some tissues and a bottle of water and told me it was going to be okay. She turned out to be right; she was able to book me on a flight that left only an hour and a half later. Problem 5 solved. So here I am at my gate, very ready to be home. I made it through more than a day of travel, from San Jose to Miami to New Orleans to Dallas to Denver and unless, heaven forbid, something else goes wrong, I should be back in Salt Lake City within 2 hours.

7 comments:

  1. Hi! I am a student interested in going to Costa Rica this next summer and was wondering if you liked it, and would recommend it to other student. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, Laura, I would definitely recommend it. The hardest part for me was sitting in class 4 - 6 hours a day, so be ready for that. But the families are great, the teachers are great, and the excursions are SUPER-great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The part that scares me the most is getting there and not being able to communicate with anybody because my Spanish isn't that great. How good at Spanish were you when you left? Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is something that I was worried about too. When I left I had taken two years of Spanish, but it turned out that 2/3 of the students from WSU had less experience than I did. There were even a bunch that came not knowing ANY Spanish. I am not sure how much trouble the beginners had getting around, but they did it, so you can. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am taking Spanish 2010 this Spring so I hope I can at least get around! I have read a lot of your blog, and I thought it was just great. Did you take anything of large worth with you, such as a laptop, cellphone, or ipod? Thanks for answering all my questions! haha

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad you like it! I took my cell phone, but left it locked in my room and never used it. But several people brought laptops. The only things I heard about getting lost/stolen were: one girl left her iPhone in a cab, and another girl had her bag stolen while she was swimming at a public beach on our day off (as a group, you don't go to public beaches for that very reason). If you decide to go, they'll talk about security before the trip - things like safety-pinning your backpack zipper shut or wearing it on your front.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you so much for all the help! I payed the safety deposit, so as far as it goes, I am going to go! :)

    ReplyDelete